At Coppice we are committed to enhancing and extending the learning experiences of the more able. More able children are identified by teachers as:
“Those children and young people with one or more abilities developed to a level significantly ahead of their year group (or with potential to develop those abilities).” The DCSF (Department for Children, Schools and Families), the predecessor of the Department for Education (DFE)
More able children’s talents may lie in one area of the curriculum or be more wide reaching. At Coppice we are driven to provide these pupils with a high level of challenge. This drive for excellence starts in the classroom with the more able working on in depth, complex investigations and challenge activities. Further provision is through.
- More able children are set aspirational targets, which all teachers are committed to ensuring children are successful.
- More able musicians are able to learn a wide range of musical instruments, join one of the schools rock bands or the choir.
- More able sportsmen and women excel at Coppice due to the wide range of before school, lunchtime and afterschool clubs. (for more information please see the clubs page).
- Coding club provides opportunities for the more able computer programmers.
- Achievements gained out of school are encouraged and celebrated in family assembly every Thursday morning.
- We have a more able maths team in Years 4 and 5 which take part in completions run by King Edwards School.
- Enrichment activities are offered to children in many area of the curriculum. This year’s program of events can be seen below.
|Two more able children attend each of these workshops
|Wednesday 25 Sept||More than just Numbers!
|Problem Solving at greater depth
Focus- SPATIAL AWARENESS & REASONING
|Thursday 10 Oct
|GT Xxtravaganza||Choral event – Singing from the Shows
|Thursday 7 Nov||Powerful Words – Powerful Writing||Composing & Creating – Fictional writing
Genre – MYSTERY & SUSPENSE
|Wednesday 21 Nov||In the Art Studio||Art morning in conjunction with Solihull School Art Dept||Y4/5|
|Wednesday 15 Jan||What can we find out??||Practical Science morning||Y5|
|Tuesday 4 Feb||Hidden in the Wall..
Dug up by a Digger..
|Artefact handling session
Discovering stories behind the artefacts
|Wednesday 4 March||Bytes, Bits & Browsers||Exploring challenges through IT||Y5|
|Tuesday 18 March||More about Maths||Developing Mathematical Thinking||Y5|
|Thursday 30 April
|Murder at Midnight||Detection & Sleuthing with lots of problem solving & reasoning||Y4|
|Wednesday 20 May||What Next?||Developing Storyline & Depth
Genre – ACTION & ADVENTURE
|Friday 19 June||How does that Work?||Practical D&T session||Y5|
|Wednesday 1 July||Writers at Work||Story building & Developing storylines||Y3|